Stuffed peppers are a favorite in my household. My husband actually requests them almost every week! Recently I came across several pictures of stuffed pepper soup on Instagram and thought I would try my hand at it.
The recipe is actually very simple. You’re simply taking all of the ingredients of a traditional stuffed pepper, and making it into a soup. And I have to say that this soup is so delicious. It makes for a very hearty and flavorful meal. It is also a very thick soup that has the consistency of a stew, so it is sure to fill you up.
I do believe that this will become a new favorite in our house. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did.
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 red bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
1 green bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
1 yellow bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and cook until browned, breaking up into smaller pieces with a spatula. Season meat with salt and pepper.
2. Sautee onion and garlic in skillet for 2 or 3 minutes or until softened.
3. Transfer meat along with onion and garlic to a large pot.
4. Add the bell peppers to the pot of meat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. One by one add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, Italian seasoning and garlic powder to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
6. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
7. Lastly, stir the cooked rice into the soup mixture. You can season it with a little bit of salt and pepper as desired. Top with parsley and serve.