Everyone is entitled to a bad day. I mean, life happens to the best of us, right?
Even the happiest of people have bad days here and there, and that’s OK. But sometimes we have a tendency to want to wallow in self-pity when negative situations arise. One of our first instincts is to over-indulge in ALL of the comfort foods and shut ourselves up from the rest of the world (speaking from experience here).
I think it’s important that we give ourselves permission to not always be happy, while also realizing that there are several things that we can do that will help to improve our mood when we’re feeling down.
Instead of letting those negative feelings fester, or overdosing on chocolate (my weakness), here are 30 simple things that you can do when you’re having a bad day.
1. Spend some time outdoors. Breathe in the fresh air, and let the sun shine on your face.
3. Enjoy some aromatherapy. Light a candle, or throw some essential oils in your diffuser.
4. Unplug from technology for the day.
5. Enjoy some time with your kids.
6. Take a long, hot bath.
7. Listen to an encouraging podcast or sermon.
8. Go for a walk with your dog.
9. Read a book.
10. Cry. Or even yell while you’re crying. This always helps me.
11. Call up a loved one and vent.
12. Write in your journal. This really helps.
13. Buy yourself some flowers.
14. Enjoy a bowl of ice cream. (preferably cookies and cream – wink!)
15. Crank up your favorite music and dance.
16. Go shopping – just don’t overspend.
18. Spend some time doing your favorite hobbies/crafts.
19. Watch a few sitcoms and have yourself a good laugh.
20. Color in an adult coloring book.
21. Recite a few motivational quotes.
22. Do something nice for someone else.
24. Take a much-needed nap.
25. Rearrange the furniture.
26. Play in makeup.
27. Go for a leisurely drive.
28. Visit your favorite restaurant and enjoy a nice meal.
29. Do a few crossword puzzles.
30. Have some chocolate.
The good news my friend is those bad days won’t last forever. Give yourself a little time and you are sure to feel better.